Movements of live fish within the EU are generally permitted between geographic areas (termed zones) or farms of equivalent health status, or from zones of high status to those of lower status.

Great Britain is an Approved Zone for Infectious Haematopoietic Necrosis (IHN) andViral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia (VHS) and has additional guarantees for Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC) and Gyrodactylus salaris (GS), you can therefore export to almost all other areas of the EU.

However, any movements of live fish, their eggs and gametes to other Approved Zones or Farms in the EU must be accompanied by correct movement documents, which attest to the health status of the consignment and are signed by the Competent Authority.

In England and Wales the Fish Health Inspectorate (FHI), based at CEFAS Weymouth is responsible for the issue of such movement documents. You should provide five working days notice of any intended export so that the FHI can arrange for an inspection to be undertaken and the necessary movement documents to be issued prior to the export.

Currently for exports to Non-Approved Zones or Farms, no movement documentation is required.

Exports of live fish to countries outside the EU

Anyone intending to export live fish to countries outside the EU should check the requirements of the destination country. We advise this is done via the trade department of that country’s embassy. It is also advisable to check with the appropriate airlines that they are prepared to carry the consignment.

If any health certification requirements exist you should contact the FHI to establish whether they can be met. It may not be possible for the FHI to meet the demands of the other country initially, but we may be able to carry out checks or testing, on a cost recovery basis, to enable us to provide certification for subsequent exports.


Theme by HermesThemes

Copyright © 2021 Fish business. All Rights Reserved